Monday, November 15, 2010

Can Be Summed Up In Two Words...


Craig Groeschel
The Christian Atheist: Believing in God but Living as if He Doesn’t Exist

My thoughts on this book can be summed up in two words: Sigh and Yawn. First, the sigh.

I have been intrigued by this book for a while and finally picked it up at the local store looking forward to hearing a pastor talk about believing in Christ while living as if we don’t. The phrase, “Christian atheist” is a provocative one and it presents interesting inroads into some pastoral work.

Instead of thought-provoking work, the book is a string of stories supported by a few verses here and there and punch-lines. Every chapter goes like this: catchy title, story of the down-and-outer, verse, repeat story and verse four or five more times, a little bit of surface Scriptural work, punch-line. I don’t know exactly what I expected when I picked up the book, but I was fairly underwhelmed with the product.

The Yawn is pretty self explanatory. Every chapter was essentially the same with variations on the stories and themes. All the actual biblical and spiritual work was simple bordering on simplistic. The illustrations – not unlike many sermons preached each week – overwhelmed the biblical insights and the vision of Christ this topic could have developed.

If you are looking for a simple and easy to read pick-me-up with lots of stories, this book really might be a help to you. If, however, you want to really dig into the very real problem of “Christian atheists,” this book might come up a little short for you.

3 comments:

Danny Wright said...

Great title, great introduction, great disappointment.

Phil Steiger said...

True. And it could have been a very compelling work.

Quintessential said...

The title made me think of A.W. Tozer, Leonard Ravenhill, Charles Finney and the like. I thought maybe it would help shake me up out of my spiritual slumber. Should have known better, since it is a top seller.