Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Work is a Bountiful Gift

Charles Wesley wrote this hymn encouraging believers to honor God in their workaday lives.


Forth in Thy Name, O Lord, I Go

                Forth in thy Name, O Lord, I go,
                my daily labor to pursue;
                thee, only thee, resolved to know
                in all I think or speak or do.

                The task thy wisdom hath assigned,
                O let me cheerfully fulfill;
                in all my works thy presence find,
                and prove thy good and perfect will.

                Thee may I set at my right hand,
                whose eyes mine inmost substance see,
                and labor on at thy command,
                and offer all my works to thee.

                For thee delightfully employ
                What e'er thy bounteous grace hath given
                And run my course with even joy,
                and closely walk with thee to heaven.

This hymn affirms some wonderful things about the Christian view of work and worship.

God has graciously and wisely assigned us our task. Work, biblically speaking, is a bountiful gift from God in which we engage in God's calling, honor God, love our neighbor, and take part in the foreshadowing of the coming kingdom of God. Yes, really, this is how the Christian faith looks at work.

The best way to 'take God to work' with us is to recognize that he is already there. We do not need to bring God kicking and screaming into our daily lives where we do not really know where he fits anyway. He is already ahead of us working in the lives of those we live and work with, and he can even be at work in the labor itself.

When we are aware of God's presence and wisdom within our labors, there can be delight and joy. It is the perspective shift that makes this possible - God is here at work in my/our labors which he has graciously given.

We are having a great time at Living Hope Church on Tuesday nights in our series, "The Work God Made Us For" digging into these issues and what Scripture has to say about them. You are invited!

No comments: